It's official - Japan borders open from October 11th
Cherry blossom season is nearly here in Hokkaido with the first blooms due around April 29 (a little earlier than expected).
In Hokkaido, the blossoms bloom a little later than in Honshu due to our Northern location and colder weather. They start to bloom gradually from the end of April, and are in full bloom during the first week or so of May. The blossom flowers will fall in 10 days to 2 weeks after they start to bloom, so you need to be quick and have good timing, so be sure to check the flowering forecast to enjoy the cherry blossoms in full bloom.
We recommend planning your spots, getting a bento and enjoying a picnic under the blooms!
2021 Cherry Blossom Forecast in Hokkaido
- Flowering forecast (April 29, 2021)
- Half bloom (May 1, 2021)
- Full bloom (May 2, 2021)
Famous spots for Cherry Blossoms around Niseko
- Twin Cherries (early to late May) Two trees standing in the field of Soga, Niseko Town. It is called "Twin Cherry Tree" and stands close to Mt. Yotei in the background. * Approximately 7 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Arishima Memorial Park (early to late May) It is a luxurious and spectacular spot where you can enjoy the cherry blossoms, the Annupuri ranges, and Mt. Yotei all at once. In the surrounding area, you can eat freshly baked bagels at SEED BAGEL and enjoy delicious coffee at Takano Coffee. * Approximately 15 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Soga Forest Park (early to late May) There are about 50 Ezoyama cherry trees, and the best time to see them is in early May. The park has a lawn plaza with a view of Mt. Yotei and a promenade, making it ideal for a light walk. * Approximately 11 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Makkari Shrine (early to late May) About 70 Ezoyama cherry trees line the approach to the shrine, and you can enjoy the cherry blossom tunnel behind Mt. Yotei. * Approximately 21 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Kyogoku Fukidashi Park (early to late May) Fukidashi Park, which is popular as a “famous water village” where delicious water springs out, has an observatory with a magnificent view and playsets for children. * Approximately 20 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Rankoshi Lan Lan Park (late April to late May) About 500 Ezoyama cherry trees line up on the embankment of the Shiribetsu River, and you can take a walk under the cherry blossom trees along the Shiribetsu River. There are also sports facilities and playsets for children, so even families can enjoy it. * Approximately 28 minutes by car from Hirafu
- Arai Memorial Museum (late April to late May) The museum is nestled high on a hill overlooking the picturesque streets of Iwanai and the sea of Japan. A perfect place to enjoy the beauty of cherry blossoms in an open space and without the crowds. The Museum is also famous for its extensive collection of Picasso print sketches collection. * The 45 min- 1 hour drive from Niseko to Iwanai is a very scenic and relaxing drive up and over the mountain range with many viewpoints along the way.
Japan borders are open & getting here is easier than you think! Check out the NISADE Guide to getting you to Japan this winter.
2022 Niseko Autumn Food Festival showcases Niseko’s finest restaurants and bars dishing up delicious delights, join us in Niseko Hirafu 15-18 September.