Rusutsu Ski Resort has just dropped the dates of their planned opening for the upcoming season.
Our Powder Triangle Sale may have ended - but you can WIN 6-nights accommodation in Niseko, Furano and Rusutsu - enter between August 23rd to October 23rd, 2023 to win!
Coined by Anthony here at NISADE to refer to the three best ski resort destinations in Japan - Niseko, Furano and Rusutsu - the "Powder Triangle" is a must for anyone wanting to tick off the best skiing in Asia from their bucket lists.
With its breathtaking landscapes, abundant snowfall, world-class ski resorts and luxury accommodation Hokkaido has become a mecca for powder snow enthusiasts from around the globe. In this article, we explore the three destinations, give out some valuable tips as well as a recommended itinerary (below) to make your planning easy.
The Hokkaido Powder Triangle refers to the three regions in Hokkaido, Japan, that offer some of the finest powder snow conditions in the world. The triangle is formed by three major ski areas: Niseko, Furano, and Rusutsu. Each of these destinations is unique, offering a distinct experience for snow enthusiasts of all levels.
Niseko: The Epicenter of Powder
Renowned for its exceptional snow quality and abundant snowfall Niseko is the jewel of the Hokkaido Powder Triangle. Situated on the western side of Hokkaido, Niseko attracts skiers and snowboarders from all corners of the globe. With four ski areas under the Niseko United umbrella (Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village, Niseko Annupuri and Hanazono Niseko!), challenging slopes, boutique hotels and vibrant après-ski scene in Hirafu, Niseko has something to offer everyone and is Asia's most luxurious ski area.
Furano: A Winter Wonderland
Nestled in the heart of Hokkaido (or the belly button as the locals call it), Furano is a picturesque ski resort that captivates visitors with its scenic beauty and tranquil atmosphere. Known for its wide-open slopes and long, tree-lined trails, Furano is a paradise for intermediate skiers and snowboarders. Whether you're seeking thrilling runs or peaceful cross-country skiing trails, Furano has it all. If you're looking for a real Japanese experience, or trying to avoid the business of Hirafu without sacrificing luxury, Fenix Furano is for you!
Rusutsu: A Hidden Gem
Tucked away on the opposite side of Mt Yotei (not far from Niseko), Rusutsu offers a unique and unforgettable winter experience. With multiple ski areas and a gondola connecting both, Rusutsu caters to skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels (including some epic tree runs). The resort boasts meticulously groomed slopes, thrilling off-piste areas, and an abundance of powder stashes waiting to be discovered. Experience the unique charm of a true Japanese ski resort while enjoying the luxurious Vale Rusutsu.
Want to give it a try? Here is our recommended self-guided itinerary. If you need help - simply get in touch with our friendly reservations team. Please note that minimum stay requirements may apply for peak periods. We'll do our best to tailor a stay for you!
- Get to airport
- Board overnight flight to Japan
DAY 1 (Arrive Hokkaido / Niseko)
- Arrive Chitose Airport 10am
- Arrive Niseko 2pm
- Check in, unpack, relax
- Village walk around & bite to eat
- Pick up rental gear
- Night ski Session
- Make your friends jealous on social media
- Sleep (pass out with exhaustion)
DAY 2 (NISEKO)
- Powder Day (Maybe even cat skiing?)
- Apres Nightlife, village vibes
- Sleep (with a Japow grin)
DAY 3 (NISEKO - RUSUTSU)
- Powder Day (Maybe with an afternoon snowmobile adventure?)
- Private Transfer to The Vale Rusutsu (45 mins)
- Post more pics & videos to social
- Dream of Rusutsu Powder
DAY 4 (RUSUTSU)
- Powder Day
- Dinner at local Izakaya
- Explore Rusutsu by night (Fireworks, illumination walk, activities, Indoor pool/ slide, games centre, 4D Cinema & more!)
DAY 5 (RUSUTSU)
- Powder Day (Or maybe go Heli Skiing)
- Apres Drinks
- Fall asleep looking at your photos from the day
DAY 6 (RUSUTSU - FURANO)
- Powder Day
- Private Transfer to Furano (3 hours)
DAY 7 (FURANO)
- Powder Day (With mountain guide)
- Onsen & recharge
- Enjoy Furano Town, dinner, nightlife
- Sleep with a smile at Fenix Furano or Fenix West
DAY 8 (FURANO)
- Powder Day
- Afternoon culture experience or sightseeing
- Try get some sleep knowing tomorrow is your last day of Japow!
DAY 9 (FURANO - AIRPORT)
- Powder Morning
- Return rental gear
- Shower, refresh, Late check out
- Private transfer to Chitose Airport (2 hours)
- Overnight flight home
- Drift to sleep with images of Japow playing back in your mind on a loop
DAY 10 (HOME)
- Arrive home with a powder grin from ear to ear
- First of many bulk uploads to Social
- Wake up in your own bed
- Book your next trip to Japow!
- Start the countdown...
Contact our professional team for more information about the Powder Triangle or if you need assistance with your next ski holiday.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +81 (0)136 23 1724
Or check out available special deals at your preferred resort now!
Amon is our Japan Marketing Manager - having joined the team in late 2022 after 5 years experience in the Australian ski and tourism industry - Amon enjoys hiking, camping and snowboarding badly.
The best apres ski bars, pubs and clubs in Niseko Hirafu.
The best places on the mountain for beginner skiers and snowboarders to improve their skills and start exploring Niseko.